Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET 2005 Merge Modules cannot run VB.NET app containing CR XI Dlls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N11689

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
We have created a VB.NET (2005) application that uses the 11.5.9708.826 Crystal dlls (CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll, CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll, etc)

The VB.NET app uses the ReportDocument object model to load the Crystal Report (created in Crystal XI, not in Crystal embedded within VB.NET).

We are using the Merge Modules fro .net 2005 as recommended by Business Objects to deploy our VB.NET app to a runtime client.

When the VB.Net .exe executes on the runtime machine, it errors with an 'has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' error message.
I have no idea why this is happening except that I know it has to do with the Crystal dlls. If I remove all the code and references to the Crystal dlls, the app will not error out. Granted it will not run my report because all the crystal dlls have been removed, but as soon as I add the crystal dlls back in, I receive the error.

Security is set up correctly, and we have Crystal XI Release 2 with Service Pack 2 installed.

Anyone have any problems deploying the vb.net apps for 2005?
Anyone know how to resolve our issue?

I don't know if it's the same problem, but the problem on our side was that the Crystal Report people didn't remove their reference to nunit (a unit testing tool) in the version they released to the public.

I have added a reference to nunit.framework.dll in the project to fix the problem.

Actually, discovered that we were using the CrystalReports11_5_NET.msm merge module, not the CrystalReports11_5_NET_2005.msm merge module.

Just created another install package (using InstallShield) adding the CrystalReports11_5_NET_2005.msm merge module this morning and finished testing. The error went away, and our vb.net app now runs. However, we are experiencing some other issues. Will open up a new thread for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back