Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nested Left Joins in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyB

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
US
I have a query here that seems as though it should work, but I know I have to do some funky parentheses in Access or something to get joins to work correctly. I have several nested left joins and Access does not like my syntax....any suggestions?

SELECT CLASSES.ID
FROM CLASSES
left JOIN COURSES
left JOIN MSTV
left JOIN MSHEADER
ON (MSTV.MsSection = MSHEADER.MsSection)
AND (MSTV.MsCrsNumber =MSHEADER.MsCrsNumber)
AND (MSTV.MsYear = MSHEADER.MsCrsYear)
AND (AAA_ALLMSTV.MsSchool=MSHEADER.MsCrsSchool)
ON (COURSES.CourseNumber = MSTV.MsCrsNumber)
AND (COURSES.CourseYear = MSTV.MsYear)
AND (COURSES.CourseSchool = MSTV.MsSchool)
ON (CLASSES.Crs = COURSES.CourseNumber)
AND (CLASSES.Year = COURSES.CourseYear)
AND (CLASSES.School = COURSES.CourseSchool)
WHERE CLASSES.ID in (select old_student_number from ESIS_IDS);

Put a left parenthesis after each of the first two LEFT JOIN keywords, and a right parenthesis before each of the last two ON keywords. I think that will do it. Rick Sprague

That doesn't seem to work. I've put the parentheses where you said, and I also tried them before the first two left joins and after the last two on's..that didn't work either.

I overlooked that you have used the column AAA_ALLMSTV.MsSchool, but you don't have such a table. When I changed that to MSTV.MsSchool and put the parentheses in where I said, it was syntactically correct. (I built tables with these names containing the referenced columns, and was able to execute the query.)

Rick Sprague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back