Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nertwork Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty545

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2004
US
I have a network that consists of 2 environments. A production environment and a development environment. Each environment has 3-5 windows(w2k3) servers and 5-8 linux servers. Currently the w2k3 boxes are set up under a workgroup. Services that are running include IIS6, MSSQL 2005, Terminal Server, Sharepoint Services, and DNS. The 2 environments are physicaly disjoined (not in the same buildings or cities) but connected via VPN.

Any recommendations for setting the 2 windows environments up as Domains, promoting a Server in each environment to DC's, and using Active Directory and trusting the 2 sites.

I must also add that there are no real end-users that connect to the servers. Only developers and system admins. No file servers or print servers. Only services and internet users.

I guess I could have been a little clearer. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to set the windows servers up in a domain, or keep them setup in a workgroup.

I've had conflicting opinions about whether to promote the envirornment to a Domain with AD. Some say since there are only 3-5 windows servers, to leave as a workgroup.

Others say migrate to a Domain.

I want to know which to choose.

Domain will be a good choice if you wanna have centralized control and administration of your computers/users, and will be choice if you have more computers in your network.

I am not sure if you are developing/using Directory aware applications/software in your network. If this is so, Active Directory would be better. Nowadays, applications/software are developed directory aware.

It also depends on what will be your future expansion scope. If your network continues to expand (more users will be added), I suggest you plan accordingly for Active Directory basement.

-Keshav

My choice is for AD with totally separate forests. You don't want any traffic between your sandbox and your production environment.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

As far as I recall, you can't do trusts with a workgroup anyway, so if you want to connect the two sites you need the domain to be able to have trusts.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

You can't have AD unless you join your servers and workstations in a domain anyway. You have only one choice and that's to join them to a domain. If your locations are disjointed then make two forests and have a trust relationship established between the two forests.

simple as apple pie :)

I understand the need for AD in an environment with many end-users. In this particular environment, we will not have any end-users, except for the other w2k3 servers. No print services or file servers. It is a web-front environment. Public website for customers, including a SQL backend for transactions and database, and sharepoint services for internal environment.

Everything I read from Microsoft says use Peer-to-Peer if you will have less than 10 clients. Well obviously i'll have less than 10 clients. So do I keep the Peer-to-peer?

Shorty545 If you are looking for a trust between the sites to simplify your management then you need AD. IF you don't see a need for a trust then stick with P2P.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I'm also going to be putting an exchange server in. I think it would be better in a domain environment. It would simplify licensing and user management across the few servers.

I think I've got my questino answered then.

Thanks for your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back