Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nero vs Roxio with CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixc

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
CA
Hi,

I like having some CD-RW formatted as a disk, for quick backup purposes. I tought that the format used by Roxio was quite universal, but it looks like Nero, claiming the same standard does not interface properly with discs formatted with Roxio. I'm also wondering if I haven't ruined my data trying to write from Nero to a Roxio-formatted disc.

What's your experience at this?

Felixc

Roxio and Nero use different formaats to format and write to CD-RW's. You have to choose one and stick with it. I've had no experience writing to the wrong format so I can't offer an opinion on whether the disk is ruined or not. When I found that Nero's "INCD" and Roxio's "Direct CD" couldn't reside on the same hd, I had to make a choice. Good Luck

They both reside on my hard drive without a problem. These days I usually use Nero, but Roxio is still there and can be used quite easily.

kiddpete, are you talking about having both InCD and Drag-to-disc together?

Yes, I'm sure I am. That's a hint of a reservation because I haven't spent much time looking into Nero details. I can tell you that I'm running Nero 6 Ultra Edition, and that Drag-to-disc is always resident. In fact, I double clicked on a file while getting a disk ready to burn in Nero a few days ago, and Roxio popped up and 'hijacked' the burn. It was so smooth that I didn't notice that Roxio had horned in until I was close to burning the CD. I let it finish. However, I use Nero almost exclusively these days for CD and DVD burning.

Yeah, normally INCD and DirectCD shouldn't be running at the same time as a "recommendation", but as in kiddpete's experience, it is certainly possible.

As for using the same formatted disc in both programs...

Both programs use UDF in a similar fashion. Therefore, it is possible for you to format a disc in one and read/write to it in the other. However, keep in mind that there are many subsettings within the UDF format that can complicate things (filename restrictions, etc). Nero may have some settings that Roxio doesn't, and/or it may have different settings selected as the default. Unless they match across applications, then there is a good chance for corruption.

Just my 2¢

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Too bad that sometimes we need a microsoft to force the adoption of a format by everyone else.

Do you know if your versions of Nero and Roxio support Mount Rainier. I saw it supported in a Nero Express package, but not in the Roxio version that I have. I once tought that Mount Rainier was going to be the Holy Grail of CD recording.

I don't know how I would tell in Roxio. It usually doesn't operate at a very technical level, and Mount Rainier is not listed in its help index.

On the Phillips website, it shows a list of contributors and promoters of Mount Rainier. Ahead and Roxio are both listed as contributors.

Not sure how long ago the website was updated, but it does show that the technology supports both DVD and CD recording. It also mentions that it will eventually be integrated into an upcoming operating system, though it doesn't say when and what OS.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Felixc, i found a bit of that when i switched over from roxio to nero some years back. That is, i had a few cd's that i couldnt read, but thats a few in hundreds. So, generally you should be able to read just about any cd or dvd. Sometimes it has to do with cheaper media as well, or maybe a cd or dvd reader getting a bit old, not liking a certain media, dirty media, all kinds of reasons not anything to do with Mt. Rainier. But on that subject, im reasonably sure if you keep looking thru all the options with your roxio prog, you should find mention of Mt. Rainier and some other, more common settings as well.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Perhaps it is because this isn't the full Roxio package that I have (drag-to-disc V6.6.1.48) , but when I insert a blank CD-RW or DVD+RW I see no option at all in the formatting window, other than quick and standard.

The NERO Express that came with an LG burner did have the CD-MRW option. Well, I guess that MRW did not meet with success.

Thanks guys!
Felixc

So it is within the full package! Good. What is your version of Roxio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back