Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nero 6 freezing when checking DVD disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoWalker

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2003
GB
After adding an additional 200GB HDD to a friends machine (on a seperate IDE channel) Nero 6 refuses to write DVD disks. Strangely however it will write CDs in the same drive and Nero Showtime will also play DVD movies without error.

I have tried different cable combinations and also checked settings within Nero to no avail.

If I removed the Hard Disk so it is back to the original configuration, Nero still will not write any DVDs.

System:

Windows XP Home with SP2
512MB SDRAM
AMD ATHLON 1800
1x SONY Multiformat DVD-RW (3 months old) (shared with CDRW)
1x Plextor CDRW (shared with DVDRW)
1x 80GB IDE HDD (seperate IDE channel)
1x 200GB IDE HDD (seperate IDE channel)

Any clues?

Lee

Have you tried other versions of nero? I had problems with like 6.0.0.3 or somthing and switched to a different release of nero 6 and worked fine. I would try a different release.

Yep tried all those. Still not functioning. Just wondering if it could be a motherboard problem as prior to installing the 200GB HDD everything worked ok, they board is about 2 - 3 years old.

Lee

NeoWalker said:
If I removed the Hard Disk so it is back to the original configuration, Nero still will not write any DVDs.

The addition of the hard disk may, or may not be, important. Some IDE devices for their most advanced feature sets do not like being made Slave devices; they only work properly as Master on their own IDE chain.

If it was my computer, I would add a Promise based PCI IDE controller board and give the Sony DVD writer its own IDE chain as Master.

Bcastner thats not the correct url for Nero software. It goes to an Danish page saying something about From Idea to Success.

the url for nero software is
I'm sure it never used to be but it works now...

I think I saw on Nero's webpage somewhere that you need to update to 6.3.1.25 to solve some issues with Windows XP SP2.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

bcastner , I have added an additional 2 channel IDE card and connected the 200GB hdd to this which still didnt work. What I may do is connect the DVDRW to the IDE card on its own cable and daisy chain the 80GB & 200GB hdd. I will let you know if this makes any difference.

The one thing I can still not understand is the sony dvd writer WILL write CDRs without problem, as soon as a DVD is inserted and it checks the DVD it freezes.

Thanks for all your help.

I understand how frustrating this can be. I still think the basics:

. firmware (you did that)
. burner software (you did that)
. cable/jumpers (you did that)

Which leaves the obscure:

. It does not like being a secondary device on the IDE chain (you are testing that)

. Hardware: overclocking, lousy 80 conductor cable, etc.

. A call/email to Nero support. It may be something silly such as: we do not support DVD on that drive; or, change this setting.

Please let us know what sorts the issue in the end. I think the new hard disk is coincidence, other than the Primary/Secondary position of the Sony drive on the IDE chain.

Excellent point dillinger99. Some drives are fussy about the media used.

Does it read normal DVD films or does that cause the pc to lock up as well?

It might be that your DVD writer is faulty, I think it uses a diffrent laser for CD compared to DVD's so I would try and just read some DVD disks see if that works. If not get it replaced under warranty.

Out of curiousty have to tried the unit in another pc? It might be worth testing it out on another system. Its a good way to test if the unit is faulty for sure.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

One of the most important suggestions Bcastner made was to have you try updating the DVD drive's firmware off the manufacturer's website.

Most of the time when I see issues with "reading" certain types of media (whether it be brand, or CD vs. DVD), a firmware upgrade usually solves the issue.

Also in case it's hardware related, try making your setup as simple as possible. As a test, disconnect all devices that aren't necessary. Try lumping the DVD drive (as slave) on the same 80-wire cable as the primary boot drive. If you need the secondary drive, move it over to the secondary channel or leave it disconnected if possible. The purpose here is to eliminate issues with the IDE channel and cable, by using one that you know is working fine.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Big thanks to everyone who took time to help out. Really appreciated.

In the end I just ran the Sony DVDRW on its own IDE channel as master with no slave, and it works fine.

Must be that the drive just doesnt like being coupled with any other device. Strange.

The system is now fully functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back