Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needs help... I need to repackage 1 .msi application

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeshane

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2005
CA
Im having problem with one MSI application.. I need to repackage it before the deployment process so that there is no need to reconfigure the application after installation. Microsoft has repacking software but it requires SMS server.I have no SMS server installed. Can anybody suggest a good repackaging tool????

if the application installer provided to you is an MSI file, then you should seriously do some additional research. best practice states that should not repackage an MSI into another MSI. use a transform (MST) file to accomplish application configuration.

how do you create a transform file? well, there are numerous tools that will help you with this. on the free side, you can look for ORCA (comes with the MS Windows Install SDK, I think) or maybe the free version of InstallShield Admin Studio (these are just a couple). Some commercially available software vendors provide branded versions of the InstallShield transform generator for free to assist with distribution of their software (Adobe has one for Acrobat, and Lotus Notes client has one too).

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back