Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needing Advice for Installing Openview Product 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 1999
US
I am installing HP Openview on a large network. Would like to be able to talk with someone familiar with this product. Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have finally got the inventory component working. The problem I had was that the records were overwriting each other. Fortunately I am working with a network of only 150 pc's so I caught the problem. It is something you may want to watch for. I am now attempting to setup the metering and software distribution portions.

Digitalman: Do you have a specific question? Have you sized your h/w appropriate for the size of the network?

Would like to speak with you DJ if at all possible. I have sized my Network which is fairly large and would like to talk with someone who has already started this process. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Does ANYBODY have any Ideas on the proper way to setup HP Openview ??? Please reply

Hi Digital man!<br>
<br>
could you please provide more details of your situation.<br>
What type of NOS are you trying to install on? What version of DTA are you using? My situation is somewhat unique as I am running DTA off of a Banyan server, with the primary managers on a win95 pc and secondary on a ntws. Which component do you need first? I was in desperate need of an inventory so that is where I started. <br>
<br>
<br>

DJ. My whole enviroment here is NT 4.0 Most of the machines I am using are a mixture of Dell's ( GX1's and Intergraphs ) I am starting from the beginning and with the autoexplore I am not even seeing have of my sites. Please could you provide any assistance ?

DM,<br>
<br>
Please advise at what point you are in your installation. What have<br>
you done so far? How many sites are you trying to manage? are they local? Is a certain type of site not being seen, eg parent site, child site, etc. It would be a great help if you could give details <br>
on your situation. <br>
<br>
What method are you using for transferring data between Primary sites?

DJ - Thanks for replying back so fast I usually check this site 2 or 3 times a day. Ok 1st I have the software installed, and if I click on the globe that says Internet it then displays 3 symbols once I click on the middle symbol I can see alot of just the computers and printers in the domain. I will be trying to manage 4 states total and my main concentration for right now is just the servers (300) over the 4 states. I don't know what other information I can give you that would help but just ask and I will. Thanks

DM,<br>
Lets start at the top. Is your primary site fully configured and functioning properly thru the Administrator Console?<br>
<br>

DM- I would say NO not 100% since I am NOT seeing all objects. Any suggestions ???

By objects do you mean that you cannot see all of the servers at your primary site?

DJ- Yes that is what I mean. Is there any reason why I can not see them ?? Also would it be possible to call you ???

DJ- I have not received any e-mail from you, is your address correct ?????

Ok everyone here is the latest in this Saga. I can now see everything in my Gateway but it seems I can NOT see anything past my router. Does Openview or is there a place inside of Openview to set or tell it to look OUTSIDE the router ???

Is the defaultrouter set on your HPOV server? Also, check out the router to make sure that routing is setup correctly. What's the router? Make sure that the default gateway is setup and if it's different than the router...check that device to see if it has a route for the the interfaces on the router. Hmmmm, contact me if thats confusing... jkenney@baynetworks.com<br>
jfk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back