Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need your recommendations on dev. lang w/ mysql

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingLeeQuan

Programmer
Jul 3, 2002
US
i am developing a site which has 3 to 4 MYSQL databases / DSN. I would like to use PHP because it acts well with MYSQL.

My question is
Would you recommend PHP for development or one of the following (ColdFusion, ASP, or JAVA-servlets+jsp).

Also, would you please recommend a hosting company that is reliable and relatively reasonable (under10 amonth).

TIA

I would recommend Python for almost all your scripting needs, but that wasn't an option.

I would recommend PHP over any of the other options you listed: ColdFusion isn't a language, it's an environment and it isn't free, ASP is Micro$haft only and evil (it also sucks as a language) and java is an overly complex resource whore that requires five times more code to get anything done than Python, PHP or Perl (though Perl is evil in and of itself).

You can apparently use Coldfusion to develop in PHP, but from what I have seen of CF applications, if you are a beginning developer it makes it very, very easy to write very, very bad code that works in spite of itself. Since I have never seen an example of good code come out of CF (though I believe wholeheartedly that there's no reason you couldn't write good code in it) I must assume that something about the environment leads beginning programmers to bad practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back