Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need your help to create a link (ASP newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssnapier

Technical User
Feb 17, 2001
US
I am the admin of an ASP based forum using Access as the database. I am trying to implement a modification where my users can click a link to jump directly to the last post in a thread...

Here is the link I have now that gets me to the last page of the thread:

response.write &quot;<a class=&quot;&quot;threadlink&quot;&quot; href=&quot;&quot;&quot; & sValidatedBaseURL & &quot;/thread-view.asp?threadid=&quot; & vThreadRows(0, index) & &quot;&amp;posts=&quot; & vThreadRows(4, index) & &quot;&quot;&quot;>

Now here is where I am getting lost... the messageID column that would get me to the last post is in a different table then where the info above in being pulled from. The existing stuff is all pulled from a table called &quot;threads&quot; and the column I need is in a table called &quot;messages.&quot;

How can I put the two together in one link?

have you tried:

response.write &quot;<a class=&quot;&quot;threadlink&quot;&quot; href=&quot;&quot;&quot; & sValidatedBaseURL & &quot;/thread-view.asp?threadid=&quot; & vThreadRows(0, index) & &quot;&posts=&quot; & vThreadRows(4, index) & &quot;&quot;&quot;>

pinky1.jpg width='75' height='75'
[/tt]
056.jpg

Hi,

Simple: use two recordsets. Open the database connection, get the info from the 1st table in one recordset, get the info from the 2nd table in another recordset using the same connection.

Bye.

can you give me an example of how to do this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back