Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need your help, please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

panatella

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
CA
My PC has two hard drives, one is master 10G($C, $D), another one is WD 60G($E, $F, $G, $H, $I) worked as slave. Also there are two OS on them: Win98 was on 10G($C), winXP on 60G($I). I haven't used win98 for almost one year. Today, I tried to login win98 and uninstall 98 OS. Everything was in procedures. The system began to uninstall Win98, then later on give me a message: win98 has been uninstalled successfully. OK, I reboot my computer and think there should be only one OS there: winXP. But unfortunately, there came an error message said: "wrong I/O .... please insert another disk and press Enter". Even when I used bootable floppy disk, it still gave me this error.

So I think probably the master and slave cause the problem. So I changed my 60G as master, 10G as slave. but after reboot, got the same error message. Later, I disconnected my 10G, and leave 60G as only one HD on my PC, OK, reboot without problem. But came another error: it couldn't find OS, only display a message let me install OS and C:/ ...But my winXP was on $I, I still can see it from DOS (it has been changed as $G). When I tried to fomat one of drives, it said couldn't find HD I something like this.

So, would you guys give me a suggestion that I still can used both of HD, and .... Well, please give me any suggestion as you can. thank you!

The problem as I see it is that you removed the os loader from the C: drive when you removed 98. Even though Windows XP was installed on a different drive it still installs its os loader on the first partition of the primary drive. The os loader then looks at the boot.ini and determines where the OS is actually located. You need to reinstall the Windows XP OS loader to the boot drive in order to get it working. The best way to do is this with the Windows XP recovery console. Try booting with the Windows XP boot disk in the cdrom drive. When it prompts select R for Repair and go into the recovery console. Then run the command FIXBOOT to repair the the bootsector of the drive.

John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back