Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need WAN at low costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

neomc

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
DE
hello all,

i wanted to start a little WAN with some guys. i am living in germany, so local restrictions apply ;)

do you have any idea where to start from? distances about 2-3 miles are to be bridged.

i would be very thankful for giving tips and suggestions.

btw: speed limit is not set ;) but it should be 500 kbit
at least.

Hi,

If you search the web for "antenna 2.4 ghz" you will find plans for an antenna made out of pringles potato chip can, the whole thing can be made for around $6.00 US. It's very easy to make and the performance is unreal. If you choose the right kind of wireless PCMCIA NIC you could easily add a connector to the card. To achieve the distance that you have discribed would be very easy provided you have line of sight between you and the point you are trying to connect to.

I can provide you with alot more information, however I do not have the links with me. Please post reply if your interested in the link collection that I have relating to this subject.

hope this helped.
mm

hey,

thanks man. I'm very interested in it, and would be thankful
if you could post or mail me the links.

there is to check what frequences may be used in germany
without permission or subscribing. I'll do that next days ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back