Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need two things 1) print command 2) send data to pdf file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proteus7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hey,
Can any one help me with this problem. I have a printout done in Acrobat. The form is all setup I even have the text boxes setup on the Acrobat writer (ex: breeder1 -- this text box is to hold the name) now I can manually type in the information.
What I want to do is push a button and the code tell what information to send and where to put the data and print it out. This may not work, you tell me. If it can not then can any one tell me how to get it to print out. Maybe some shell command. I could have it print out the form and then reinsert the form and use excell to send the data to the form.
Any sujestions are welcome

Larry[ponder]

Larry

Sounds like you are doing a lot of things to achieve what you need. Why not just create a VFP report with all the required information in it and use the Acrobat distiller to save your report as a PDF file?

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike,
I can see how you would view this as to much. However I must not have stated this clearly enough. I have forms that are not mine, I scaned them into the computer and I could only save them as pdf files so either I wanted to be able to give the user the ability to write to that scaned file or for them to hit print and the pdf file would print out the scaned form. Then use the excel to print to that form.

So as you can see its not just a mater of using the distiller. Because not every one has a pdf writer.

Proteus7

The only way that I know to modify a PDF document (ie: adding information to a PDF document) is to use a software that can modify a PDF file, like Adobe Acrobat (the full version).

So as you can see its not just a mater of using the distiller. Because not every one has a pdf writer.

Adn I will assume that not every one will have the neccesary software to modify a PDF document either.

In your original post you wanted to know how to prin a PDF document using a low level command (like an API call):
Code:
LOCAL lnRetval, lcFile, lcOperation
lcFile = "c:\myPDF.pdf"
operations are available, for example Print
lcOperation = "Print"
DECLARE INTEGER ShellExecute IN SHELL32.DLL ;
INTEGER handle,;
STRING @sFile,;
STRING @lp,;
STRING @dir,;
STRING @dir1,;
INTEGER ncmd
lnRetval = ShellExecute(0, lcOperation, lcFile, "", "", 1)

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Proteus7

Although, you may be able to use Adobe Acrobat Forms, that allows to user to fill-in information and submit it to the form, and all that is required is Adobe Acrobar reader.

Mike Gagnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back