Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Training Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

droidrepair

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2008
US
I just took a position as a network guy for a contractor. I have extensive telecommunications work but need to get up to speed on networks (I have some basic LAN work and took a Network+ course)
My employer is a partner with Extreme and will send me to school. Looking on Extreme's site here

I'm a little confused with the XOS and XOS delta courses or route to follow after the Fundamentals course. Also, there is an Extreme Configuration Fundamentals course; however it is classroom and "virtual". The virtual course says that one uses real equipment but I'm not sure how this is possible. Ideas?
I'd also like everyone's advice on working with subnets, most engineers I know use calculators whereas the Cisco exams make you do it in your head. I think this is a good idea, as it makes you think like a router, but is this computational aspect of the theory actually that important? If so I'll work on my Cisco CCENT at the same time. Thanks!

Not a bad job, just starting and already they're sending you to school...

Which class you take depends on what equipment you have.
Extreme's newer operating system is XOS.
The older one is called ExtremeWare.

See what OS your equipment runs.

Note: the XOS delta course is for people who already know ExtremeWare, teaches the differences between old and new.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back