Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need tool for cable change in motherboard header

Status
Not open for further replies.

artheim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I am in process of replacing the motherboard with a different one and the cable header for the front panel lights and on/off is different. What is the tool I need to extract the pins and reinsert them in the proper place in the header that plugs onto the motherboard? I have searched and can find D shell tools, and several others, but I do know how to identify the exact tool I need for this. Thanks for any pointers.

No special tool needed, I use a needle or small pin. If you look at the connector, on one side will be small plastic tabs or flaps, just gently pry those up a tiny bit, if you keep a little pressure on the wire you are working with, it should just pop right out, and once they are out, you can pin it so it matches your motherboard, just don't lift those tabs too far, and you can just push the tabs back down with a little force with the needle or pin. Can also use a small jewelers screwdriver but I found the needle works just as good.

rclark250 -- Thanks for the suggestion.. I found a tiny jewelery flat screwdriver that works just fine..

Tecknome -- I had found that page before (and several others similar to it), but could not figure out which one of the many tools would work for this specific connector.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/help.

An icepick is a handy tool to keep in your desk.
In addition to helping with square pin connector wire sockets, you can slide a nut and lockwasher on it, touch the tip to a tiny screw like those used to retain connector sockets, and slide the locwasher and nut right onto the screw, without dropping them into the innards of your computer.

I usually talk to my dentist about getting an old dental pick (they dispose of them after a while).

It's AMAZING how many things I use a dental pick for.

Also great for grabbing those little jumpers. :D

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back