Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to win the argument! Peachtree

Status
Not open for further replies.

jharl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2008
US
Hi All,

Me and a coworker are having an argument about backing up peach-tree complete accounting 2008 a networked version. I recently went on this job with him and and found that the backup is done by only coping the company file. I think this is wrong to only to that. My argument is to use the backup tool in peachtree because pervasive is present and back up that file maybe the company folder to. I have not looked into the directory but the backup might need that too.

who is correct or what is the correct method to follow best practices.

jack

Peachtree data is integrated throughout the program. Backing up one file or only a file that changes is not a complete backup. The best method is to use the backup utility in Peachtree (File, Backup). Peachtree is designed to backup all the necessary files when you use the Backup option under the File Menu.

The Peachtree backup utility seems to work fine, but I need to move Peachtree data from one group of machines to another that is totally unrelated. I do this by coping the enter data folder for the company involved to a cd or jump drive and and then just loading it on the 2nd group of machines.

Couple of issues. 1) Before you can do this you have to set up a dummy company with the same name and details as the company you are regularly copying. 2) It takes up more space.

The biggest problem I see with the Peachtree backup is it stays on the system. I need to have the security of having the data out of the office. I also have rarely had problems with compressed files restoring properly and that is what the Peachtree backup is.

Doing it this way has also allowed me to occasionally fix a single file. This is one of those things that you don't do unless you are sure you know exactly what you are doing. An example would be that I had a crashed password file. I could restore that from my backup as it doesn't change often that saved reentering a couple days work. Since Peachtree signs files you have to restore from data from the same company. This is a trick peachtree will tell you doesn't work. It has for me on several occassions with version 2008. Haven't tried it yet with 2010.

Bill Couture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back