Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to use Nikon LS 4500 film scanner with Win2000 or XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lg1man

MIS
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have a Nikon LS 4500 film scanner which is connected to an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card in a recent Dell minitower which has no problem in recognizing the 2906 in Device Manager. The Dell is set to dual boot into 2000 or XP to accommodate various other instruments that have been attached to it.

I installed the most recent version of the Nikon driver (Nikon Scan 1.6.3) which has this note on the NikonUSA site:
"This software is supported on Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0; although Nikon can not support it, users have reported Nikon Scan 1.6.3 working on later versions of Windows as well."

When I installed this driver on XP, nothing happened. When I installed it on 2000, Nikon Scanner Control would recognize that the LS 4500 scanner was attached to the 2906, but it could not communicate with it.

Has anyone accomplished this?

Thanks.

try troubleshooting the scsi card

Is your SCSI ID number set correctly for the scanner?

I can vaguely remember having quite a few problems with SCSI on various devices because of the settings.

The scanner ID is 4. The scanner has two Centronics-50 ports. One is for the cable to the 2906 card, and an external terminator is in the other. There are no other devices in the chain.

Win95 and NT 4.0, both have a DOS based system. 2000, I'm not sure of. XP = no DOS. Can you try an up to date SCSI card?

Adaptec 2906 SCSI cards have worked fine in XP and 2000 for other scanners that I have set up. It is detected by these versions of windows without any problems and shows up in the device manager.

The Adaptec 2906 is a scsi1 card which is all the scanner needs, and it is a current Adaptec product. It is not necessary to buy a much more expensive scsi3 card and also pay for an adaptor to connect to the Centronics-50 port on the scanner.

When I try to install the Nikon software under Win2000, the presence of the scanner on the scsi card is detected, but the installation fails to connect Nikon Scanner Control properly with the scanner.

My goal in submitting this post is to find someone who, as is referred to in what I pasted in from the Nikon site, made the driver work in later versions of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back