Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to turn searchable DB into webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhshane

MIS
Dec 12, 2005
US
I have been creating databases for my own purposes for a few years but have never had to make something available to other people. I created a simple database to report the cell phone overages of each user in the company and thought it would be a simple process to publish it on the intranet for managers to look at...I think I'm in over my head.

Using MS Access 2007.

The DB contains the following:
A single table called tblOverages. The table is actually linked to tblOverages in my WATS database (the DB I use for tracking all things related to mobile devices).
qryOverages (uses a form to allow user to input parameters)
frmSearchBy (prompts user to enter parameters such as dept number, employee name, start/end date)
rptOverages (data is displayed to the user as a report)

The idea is the managers can open this DB, the form will appear prompting them to input a dept number, an employee, date range, or leave all blank to see a full listing of overages.
At the bottom of the form is a button they click to generate the report based on the parameters they input.

Now I have two hurdles to overcome:
1. The managers do not have MS Access (did not know that when I created the DB)
2. Need to make available via internal webpage

Is there a way to use a webpage as the front end where the user can input the parameters and then have the corresponding data show as a webpage?
Say John wants to see all overages for Dept 6127.
I would like for him to be able to go to an internal webpage like and frmSearchBy will appear with active fields for him to type in.
He would type "6127" in the Dept Number field, click the "Open Report" Button and a webpage would open showing him the report of all overages for dept 6127.

How would I do that? Is XML the way to go?

Thanks.

I have read that Access 2007 comes with the ability to create the runtime package which was sold separately for previous versions.

Creating that package may be an easier solution (assuming there is not a political landmine for installing the runtime).

Otherwise... I have not done that. SRS (SQL Reporting Services) comes to mind as a solution but would require SRS and nudging the data into SQL Server. If it is where you are, this should be easy for an SRS developer (I was shown how to make a report once a long time ago).

Older versions of Access had somehting called Active Data Pages which I think may have worked, I never used them, and I don't know what 2007 replaced them with.

To interact with a web page, you need to use a server side language. ASP works very well for something like this. If you use ASP then you can use VBScript which is a lot like VBA. It's not hard to do, but it's not something that would be easy to describe to someone who doesn't know anything about it.
Ask your IT guy if your intranet can run ASP scripts. If they say yes, you are half way there. I can post some sample pages that we use so our faculty can search our database for information.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am try to teach myself more about exposing data to users via the internet.

I would love to see the examples that you mention.

Can you post several of those sample pages?

Thanks,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Accounting Solutions - with free source code
Access Consultants forum

Wow, I had given up on this one (well, that and I got too busy putting out helpdesk fires). I decided to go the SQL route. Instead of learning ASP, I am going to learn SQL and transition my DBs from Access. We use SQL for most everything anyway these days.

Thank you for your responses.

I would be interested in the scripts as well Paul. While SQL seems to be my immediate path, ASP might be a good tool to learn on the side.

Sorry Hap. I haven't visited this page since mid May and missed your post completely. Are you still interested in those samples?

Paul

Hap, I'm not sure where I'd upload these files to. Any suggestions. I don't think I've ever uploaded any files using ftp. All my files reside locally on an intranet for the school.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back