Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to transfer file from dead laptop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBL

Technical User
Jul 14, 2005
US
motherboard on laptop one may be shot, cannot see monitor. Can I transfer files from laptop one to laptop two, if so, how should it be done?

BIGBL,

If laptop1 is not completely dead
"cannot see monitor"
if it boots but you just can not see to navigate you can attempt to transfer files via network, or a cross over RJ-45 cable(if you have net capability on both) lastly by rs-232 (serial port) slow but effective.

If laptop1 is completely dead: Then you can remove the HD from Laptop1 and you will have to obtain a device, plug it into that, and it will interface to laptop2. Could be a USB carrier for the type of drive (2.5"??) you are dealing with then plug the device with hd installed and transfer.

Something like what is at the link:

Hope this is helpful

rvnguy

Don't attempt a network transfer or even turn the faulty laptop on again. Remove the HD as described above and extract your data first, anything else may jeopardise the integrity of the data.

Daniel.

I think you're being a little paranoid there. I've got a feeling that if the laptop problem is going to screw up his data, it's already happened.

If the laptops completely dead, check the battery/power supply to see if that's the problem. If not, you'll have to pull out the HD as described above.

If you're getting power lights and humming noises and stuff, you could have a bad screen or a loose connection. Try connecting an external monitor and see if anything shows up on it.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

Now *that* is a handy little device. Thanks for the link.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

Bospruell & BaudKarma,
FYI
Yeah, that is a good device if you have a desktop Poster stated he had two laptops though. So I directed him to a USB HD case.

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back