Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to run 2 apache's and tomcats--how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyoclass

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
I currently have Apache-2.0.47 installed on Linux ES 2.1 with Tomcat 4.1.24 where apache serves the static pages and tomcat serves the secure pages when requested. This all belongs to one client. What I am having trouble figuring out is how to run another instance of the same thing... another client with a separate instance of apache and tomcat as their configurations will be different. How can I do this?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Each apache instance must tie to a unique IP:pORT combination. Bottom line, Apache eats its IP:pORT combo and makes it unavailable to other Apache instances that may want to run.

If you really are tied to another instance you have a few options:

1) Run an apache as a front-end proxy on, say, IP:80.
2) Based on what vhost is accessed the front-end redirects to a backend apache/tomcat instance running on, say , IP:8001.
3) For each new instance you set up you have it answer on IP:800x etc etc etc

This will allow you to run multiple instances of apache behind a single IP address which is what it sounds like you are trying to do.

Alternatively, if you have a large IP space, just instantiate a bunch of apache's across it, 1 IP per client.

I have not configured tomcat in awhile, but I believe you can configure it per virtualhost which would eliminate the need for multiple instances. Not sure there. The above technique should work fine either way.

Thank you so much... I will try to talk the clients into using different IP's and make life easier for everyone but I think my problem is going to be that if I just need to restart one client (vhost (IP)), that can not be done with the virtual host setup can it?

Correct, if you are in a vhost world a restart hits everyone.

If you have lots of RAM you can use a single front end server with multiple backend servers and then just restart the backend for that customer when the changes are made. ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse/mod_rewrite are your friends in this scenario.

Running multiple apache instances may get expensive RAM wise, be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back