Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to run 2 apache's and tomcats--how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyoclass

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
I currently have Apache-2.0.47 installed on Linux ES 2.1 with Tomcat 4.1.24 where apache serves the static pages and tomcat serves the secure pages when requested. This all belongs to one client.
What I am having trouble figuring out is how to run another instance of the same thing... another separate client with a separate instance of apache and tomcat as their configurations will be different. How can I do this?

Thank you for your help in advance!

You need to be able to host multiple IP's on the same server. I have no idea if Linux/Apache support this but i would guess "Yes". Try the Apache forum with this question, click here: forum65

-pete

Ok you have a number of options here:

I'll assume that you want to do this all on the same server?

Apache:
1) Add another network interface card & IP address for the new apache and install duplicate apache and configure (messy!)

2) Create your "New" apache httpd.conf, create a "virtual interface eth0:1 {with new IP address} and just call your existing httpd with new config -c ? (remember to bind each apache to its own address if your using port 80 for both)

3) If its just another url that you are trying to achieve with the duplicate apache then you could use name-based or IP-based <VirtualHost>[ing] and you can specify most directives within the <Virt...> container ...

Lastly:
4) Use the ProxyPass to redirect calls into your main apache server onto your new apache server listening on another port ..

e.g.
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName myother.server.com
ProxyRequests off
ProxyPass / ProxyPassReverse / ProxyVia On
</VirtualHost>

Tomcat:
Tomcat is easy .....
1) Use AJP-connector and have multipull tomcat workers on the box, you can point to them as you please from whatever apache instance you want.

I hope this helps & gets you thinking,

Obviously VirtualHosting is your best bet and I expect that you can even call your various tomcat &quot;workers(via ajp)&quot; from within the Virtual container (Not tried this method myself).

Good Luck,
Laurie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back