Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to replace hdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrothey

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
US
Hello everyone, new to the forum so I hope this question hasn't been asked before.

I am running on a 7026 (M80), O/S 4.3.3. We have 2 internal drive, hdisk0 & hdisk1, mirrored. Recently hdisk1 reported I/O errors and was put in a PV state of missing. I called IBM support to replace the drive, but the tech that came onsite was unfamiliar with breaking the mirror, modifying the VG, replacing the drive, then rebuilding the mirror. He was familiar with physically replaceing the drive though.

My question is, what steps do I need to take in order to have the drive ready to be removed and replaced with a new drive? As well as, what steps do I need to take once the drive has been replaced to recreate the mirror between hdisk0 and hdisk1?

I appreciate any help that can be given.

Thanks,
Jerrod

If you are sure you have at least one copy syncd on your good disk then you can do the following:

unmirrorvg rootvg hdisk1
reducevg rootvg hdisk1
rmdev -dl hdisk1
replace the disk drive (after system is started disk should be present in the system as hdisk1)
extendvg rootvg hdisk1
mirrorvg rootvg
bosboot -a
bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1

unmirrovg command manual says:

To replace a bad disk drive in a mirrored volume group, enter:

unmirrorvg workvg hdisk1
reducevg workvg hdisk1
rmdev -l hdisk1 -d
replace the disk drive
extendvg workvg hdisk1
mirrorvg workvg