Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to reinstall the Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunited

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2001
US
I received a virus and now I can not set a password on my scheduled tasks, it is grayed out. They don't seem to run without the password. I tried to setup new tasks, but I get the following error message; 0x8009001 a: keyset as registerd is invalid. I would like to try and reinstall Scheduled Tasks in the Systems Tools, however, when I go to Add/Remove Programs and click the Windows NT setup tab, click on accessories, I do not see Systems Tools. Where can I find this information on the Windows NT install CD? I don't want to reformat this workstation so I hope that isn't the only option.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Presume you've cleaned the virus? Suspect you may have to reinstall. You could try NT repair function (have you ERD - works better with it) - but this can cause problems if your install disk is SP1 and your current installed SP is higher (likely 6a?)

I think Wolluf is right. You can't selectively add system tools. A repair is the way to go here. You can reinstall NT over the top of the old installation, but you'll then have to also reinstall most of your applications. Usually in these situations a backup and clean install is the best way to go.

Sorry I can't be more positive
John

Darn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for your comments.

Ya know if you're really desperate and need a quick fix, you should go to 'search' and make sure ALL files are shown (hidden ones - so you can see the .DLL's you'll need) and try and take the .DLL's from a healthy workstation and replace the ones on your system with the transplanted ones...

The registry and .DLL's are like married...try it, it can't hurt...(don't forget to reinstall the service pack!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back