Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to re-quip with telephony tools - guidance or suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymcd

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2016
GB
I have been limping along with low end high volume low cost tools mainly as they were funded directly by me...ouch!
After 2 rounds of daily use their eventual demise has been realised simply due to WAT - Wear And Tear!
So after regular use and several repairs I have run out of patience. I'm now to investing(?) in 'proper' replacements, industry standard kit that is robust, durable and reliable..no more of this falsehood of economy buying the cheapo stuff.
Also want them to be as 'future-proof' as possible... so not defunct in a year!

Hence I'm putting the question out there for all to comment on...please?
What experience do you have with tools you use everyday or regularly or swear by?
Why are they good - quality, longevity, value for money, untouchable being leaders in their class (if expensive...Fluke)?
There is no such thing as an irrelevant comment, all is very appreciated!

I am seeing out the last days of an analogue box of tin in the form of a (Siemens)Unify iSDX.
Thus I need to retain the ability to look after all associated with 1308 wiring and anything that goes this world.
However it would be nice to favour tools with dual functionality & forward thinking, compliant with VOIP systems.
This is where we are going... soon... erm...that is I am to believe...?

My short but perfectly formed list of essentials as follows:-

Test butt
Oscillator & Amp (Toner/signal generator & probe!)
Cat 5/6 cable tester continuity etc etc
Associated connectivity clips interconnects etc for Rj11/RJ45/krone and anythinf else relevant...
Krone tool
Cable shears/cutters + any other essential hand tools like this

...but what do you think?

Thanks in advance
Much appreciated folks!

You need to simply research yourself.
-options
-durability
-warranty
-reviews

All you will get here for the most part is people suggesting what they have/use.

Like anything in life the more you spend the more you will get out of it.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Curlycord,
Thank you for your response.
May I ask... have you ever engaged in a conversation where the outcome was something new realised or understood...really?
Unlike many I consider this to be a dialogue. Not a lightning response....for that its facebook, twitter and all that knee-jerk pseudo-space.

Ta very much...Tony

All of these tools can now be purchased fairly reasonably.
The view then would be that you could have them located where you normally work.
If you are a mobile worker then have at least one set in your car/truck.
If you go to a few sites then consider putting a set on each site.

Oh yeah and the 'umbilical' for the iSDX and one of them large black extractors.

tonymcd there was no need for that response.

You were advised on 4 diffent things to look at in your quest.
You were told how poeple may respond, often people will mention what they use and not compare other products.
You were advised to do exactly what you wanted and that is to spend the extra dollars.

So you were "Guided" and "Suggestions" made per your request.

This is based on 15 years of being on this forum and 32 years in the industry.
It is also beased on pretty much buying anything.
I have a difficult time buying most any product, I can spend days on the net looking at reviews and models including the exact 4 things I mentioned but I have found this is the best way to shop product.

This was advice simply given to you, if you do not like it then that's is cool, but leave it at that.

I use Harris Dracon, Progressive/GreenLee and Fluke products (their best models) and but it does not mean it is the best route for you.
Canada standard is BIX
Where USA is 66 Block and 110
So no advice on Krone (UK standard) from me.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Curlycord.
As a person clearly time served with much experience, you will have used a few different tools/test kit. So your expert opinion is exactly what I had hoped for and invaluable. Thank you for comments and suggestions.

I too have a time in this industry - for one of many tasks as an apprentice I fabricated my own test butt set with a DIALLER!, words like Strowger were still about. Packet switching was in the air and being deployed by (GPO) British Telecom in the UK on the new 'System X' exchanges.

Please be assured I meant no offence nor was it intended...if taken.
I am however always 'guilty' being techie, for maximizing latency (appearing a little overly direct) using 1 word instead of 5.

Best Regards
Tony

sbcsu,
Thanks... much appreciated.

Regards
Tony

For data cabling, investing in a cable Certifier as opposed to a cable Verifier is worth seriously consideration (especially if you will be doing a lot of it). They are expensive though.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Also there are combined cable testers and oscillators which would mean not having to bring one more item.
They look to be reasonably priced on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back