Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to program Data-Tab-Data-Tab-Data QR code

Status
Not open for further replies.

artis1sysop

Programmer
Feb 27, 2017
US
We have a Symbol DS6878-SR scanner and need to program it and create bar codes so that it sends data-tab-data-tab-data all in one QR code

The text string will look something like this:
SN12345<tab>WidgetABC<tab>02/25/2017
789ABC<tab>My widget 123<tab>02/26/2017
1223333<tab>Some_widget<tab>02/27/2017

How can I do this?

There seems to be a terminology problem.

create bar codes
Your Scanner cannot Create bar codes.
It can only Read them.

so that it sends data-tab-data-tab-data
You have to Create the QR barcode image with another tool.
Once you have that QR barcode image, the Scanner can then Read it and transmit the result.

Perhaps you can clarify if you need to find a tool to Create QR barcodes like you want.
Or if you want to program the Scanner (Reader) to work in some unique manner.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Right, I need to program the scanner with rules to interpret the barcode which we print out. I'm using the 123Scan2 tool to program the scanner.

Here's examples of the barcode data:

Barcode Example #1:
HR30*001*

Barcode Example #2:
HR30*001*1601-TMA-0016-A*A****Active*

The rule needs to send a <TAB> whenever there is a <*>. So I created this ADF rule:
1. Move To All Patterns and Replace <*> with <TAB>
2. Skip to Start
3. Send All that remains

This rule works perfectly fine when scanning the barcode into Notepad. HOWEVER, it does not work with the inventory system we are using which I think uses some kind of field level validation before it takes the next chunk of data.

So I created a new ADF rule:
1. Send up to <*>
2. Send Extended Key <Tab>
3. Move Past a <*>
4. Send up to <*>
5. Send Extended Key <Tab>
6. Move Past a <*>
7. Send up to <*>
8. Send Extended Key <Tab>
9. Move Past a <*>

This works with the inventory software fine. But there is problem -- the number of repeating 3-rules have to match or be less than the number of <*> in the barcodes or it fails. Barcode Example #1 has 2, so it fails and Barcode Example #2 has 8 so it works but only up to the 3rd <*>.

What I think I need is this. I think I need a way to program a DO...WHILE loop until it reaches the end-of-text <ETX> since the number of <*> can vary. Is this somehow possible to program into the scanner?
DO WHILE NOT <ETX>
1. Send up to <*>
2. Send Extended Key <Tab>
3. Move Past a <*>
LOOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back