Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to play old message files from decomissioned PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeKen

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2010
US
Hope someone can help me. We used to use an Altigen PBX a number of years ago, and it's been decommissioned for a while. I couldn't tell you the versions of software it ran, other than that the main program, if I remember correctly, was called AltiWare.

I have a bunch of message files from it, all of which came from a directory structure along these lines:

\postoffice\ext00000501\inbox\ (where "ext0000501" was the user extension number)

and where the actual file names are like this:
1081109154820.external0000000200.49174c94.v.s-------

Note there's no real extension on the files.

Is there ANYTHING out there I can use to access these messages and play them back? My boss has decided he needs to hear his five-year-old messages, and I really don't want to try to get the old server back together.

If you can power up the Server, there should be a tool loaded called VoxConverter.
It will convert the voicemails into a .WAV format.

Not being in the office, but having one or two of the files on my laptop at home, I tried installing a couple different VoxConverter programs I found online; neither produced usable audio, just noise. So then I tried opening the files in Adobe Audition, same thing, no matter what format I told Audition they were in.

Finally, out of desperation, I tried to open them with a text editor, just to see if there was any sort of clue to their format. Turned out the damned things are email messages, with regular email headers, letting you know it's a base-64 encoded wav file. To extract them, looks like all I need to do is rename them to have a .uue extension (for UUEncode, even though base64 is different) and then you can use a program like Universal Extractor to produce the wav files.

Are you using Altigen's VOX converter?
The VMs are in an Altigen propriety format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back