Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to partition my HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeeTallman

Technical User
Dec 13, 2010
US
Hello I am running Windows 7 on my Sony VAIO laptop and I am trying to figure out how to partition my HD.

Thanks!

2 things:

You won't be able to do it from inside windows if its running on that drive, and second, you'll likely have to format it so you'll loose everything on it.

Why do you need to partition? Perhaps there is an alternative.

If you really need to partition, you may find that Ultimate Boot CD can be helpful.

It boots on its own, and independent of Windows, and has many tools including partitioning tools such as Parted Magic.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I wanted to partition the drive so I can be able to share out the drive for schoolwork without giving access to the drive with my system files on it. I contacted Microsoft and asked them how to do it. They walked me through the steps.

Thank you for your quick response!

vacunita - Windows 7 Disk Management tools allows for resizing of partitions, among other things. While not as versatile as other 3rd party tools, the ability is there.

Do they allow for re-sizing the partition Windows is running on? I would think that is a somewhat dangerous thing to do?

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yes, you can shrink/grow the System partition. As far as dangerous, not anymore than any other tool that does this. Safest course would be doing an image or backup first.

freestone said:
Yes, you can shrink/grow the System partition. As far as dangerous, not anymore than any other tool that does this. Safest course would be doing an image or backup first.
Exactly my point.

Phil AKA Vacunita

So what is your point, exactly? I am failing to see how using UltimateBootCD tools, such as PartedMagic, is any less dangerous than the tools provided by Windows 7 (though probably mosre versatile). Anything that is going play with the structure of a hard drive is dangerous, and all tools I've seen suggest doing a backup prior to any manipulation.

Point: Mucking around with an active partition is dangerous.

I was not aware Win7 allowed you to re-size the system partition while running the system. All previous versions I know of disallow mucking around with it from inside the system.

What I was getting at, is that if you are going to do this, its better to do it from outside the system, and having backed up all important data (yes did not mention that in my original post).

Phil AKA Vacunita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back