Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to partition HDD for dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BejaminTek

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
US
I have a 14GB. HDD, and I would like to repartition it in order to dual boot with ME, XP, and 2000 Server. I would like to be able to manipulate the partition sizes. How can I accompish this?

I used Fdisk (using the win98 setup disk). Created 4 partitions (although I had a 40 GB HDD) I put win 98 on drive D, then I put XP on drive C. XP will pick up any other OP system on other partitions and create a multi boot for you. Must remember to put the older OP systems on first and XP on last. I have not put 3 different ones on before, but I guess it will be the same. I.E put ME on drive E, 2000 on D and the XP on C. I assume you know how to use Fdisk?

If you are going to use the NT (2k & XP also) boot loader, I would do this:-

1. Create primary partition using fdisk for win 98 & install win 98.

2. Boot from win2k server install CD, and use its tools to create a second partition (this will be logical drive in extended partition I believe) to install 2k server in. Install 2k server.

3. Boot from XP install CD, and use its tools to create a third partition to install XP server in. Install XP.

However, I would always use a boot manager and keep the operating systems independent (use primary partitions). The above scenario has all three o/s dependent on the one (C: drive) boot sector. anything happens to that, you've got problems will all 3.

So, my alternative. Download boot manager from (one I use - free for personal use).

1. Install XP first (as has disk management tools to let you create up to 4 primary partitions on one drive). Just create one partition big enough for it during the install, and leave rest unallocated.

2. In XP, create 2 more primary partitions for 98 and 2k server (obviously 98 must be FAT or FAT32). Install boot-us. It has tools to hide partitions - both windows and dos based (you'll need to hide partitions with operating system installed while you install others, so each puts its boot sector in its own partition). So, set XP partition to be hidden.

3. Install 2k or 98 next. Install boot-us here too, and hide this partition.

4. Install final operating system, install boot-us again, unhide all partitions and set up boot menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back