Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to open DHCP port for non-root access

Status
Not open for further replies.

qa3769

Programmer
Aug 30, 2000
US
Hello all:

Does anyone know how to open up a reserved port so that any user could use it? I need to set up my system to let a user run his script that uses the DHCP port (67). Essentially, the script is a "proprietary" DHCP server, but right now, the user cannot connect to this port.

thanks,

tommy

Ports 0 to 1023 are privileged ports. Therefore, only processes with an effective user ID of root are allowed access to these ports. If you see a process (such as a mail server) running as a non-root user but accessing these ports, then the process must have set it's effective UID to be root when binding to the port.

One thing to consider - if the script(s) will be started at system boot time, the user running the script(s) will be root. If you need to restart the script(s), then it is probably a root function to do this.

However, if you want to allow your user to access the DHCP port, I suggest you look at the sudo package. This allows non-root users to execute scripts and programs as if they were root.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back