Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to nuke vista but cannot copy photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I used to have an XP laptop. I purchased a new laptop with Vista Ultimate in Feb 08 and copied all my docs, including 12Gb of photos onto vista. All good til I started to get blue screens 4-5 times a month. Now it is almost daily, so I gotta nuke it.

I purchased an external Iomega USB drive to copy my data off before nuking, yet I am receiving messages on all my photos "The File x.jpg has properties that cannot be copied to the new location."

If I can't copy my files off before nuking and I have to nuke because of blue screens, what are my options here other than losing all my photos? I am simply copying and pasting with explorer to the external drive.

What format do you have on the external device NTFS or FAT32?

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I formatted the drive in NTFS and it has resolved the issue. Not sure why only the jpg files were affected by this.

I have seen messages similar to this with some compressed files, and .jpg are a sort of compressed file. Do these files have data in an Alternate Data Stream, perhaps the Help and Support article "Add tags or other properties to a file" can explain some of the additional information that was not able to be copied to a FAT32 file system?

Win Xp And W2k With Ntfs - Alternate / Multiple data streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back