Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to nuke iseries, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

999Dom999

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
GB
OK I have not had much to do with our iseries but I need to nuke our old 720 before it hits the scrapheap, the new i520 has been going strong for 6 months and now we need the room back the 720 is taking up. (anyone want a 720 for parts maybe???)

I have been given the instructions below but I'm not getting very far. Could someone please elaborate these instructions to someone who has very little experiance on these systems.

Document Title
Initialize Disk Drives So That All Data Is Erased Off of a System

No Partitions:

The procedure for doing this follows: 1 Do a D Manual IPL using a SAVSYS, full system save, or LIC Install CD.
2 The first menu will give an Option 1 to Install LIC, and Option 2 to use DST. Select Option 1.
3 The Install LIC menu will provide 5 options. Select Option 2 to Install Licensed Internal Code and Initialize System.
4 After the install of LIC is complete, the system will IPL to the DST primary menu.
5 Configure all the disk drives by adding them into system ASP (ASP 1). This writes zeroes on the disk drives so only the LIC is loaded.

o Select Option 3 - Use DST.
o Work with Disk Units.
o Work with Disk Configuration.
o Work with ASP Configuration.
o Add units to ASPs.
o Type 1 in front of all the available units.

Note: If using the LIC install CD (I_Base) to install LIC the default password for QSECOFR will be uppercase QSECOFR.
6 When that is complete, power off the system by pressing the power button two times.
System is clean and ready to go.

Ok it says do a D manual IPL using a savsys, I did a savsys after ending the subsystems and I get this "Waiting to reply to message on message queue QSYOPR"

If I get past this error what happens next, does a savsys do a Manual IPL? Do I get chance to choose Manual IPL?? I think the next part of the instructions sound ok once I get to the correct menu but I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle, thanks for any help

It sounds like you may have some object locks or there are subsystems/jobs not ended.

Type DSPMSG QSYSOPR and look for the message (probably the most recent) with a long line under it. To get more info, move your cursor over the message, press <F1>. To find which job it's coming from, hit <F9> after the <F1>. You can probably just cancel the message.

You will need to be at the console with your job running in BCTL to complete the savsys. If the console is not in BCTL, type CHGJOB BCTL (I think).

Type WRKACTJOB to see any active jobs. The only indented job should be your session under BCTL. Anything else needs to be ended. Place a 4 beside the job and press <F4> to prompt it. Change OPTION to *IMMED and press enter. Or place a 4 beside multiple jobs and type OPTION(*IMMED) on the command line and press enter.

Once all indented jobs are ended, you can do the savsys.

Have you tried to go into DST yet? If you have trouble with the password, you can reset the QSECOFR password back to the default from the iSeries command line. You must log into the iSeries as QSECOFR, then type CHGDSTPWD and prompt it, I think you change the option to *DEFAULT and press enter. If you then type STRSST, you'll be prompted to get into service tools (not dedicated). This will just test to see if it will work. Service tools does not use the password criteria from system values. It will be case sensitive.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mark

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back