Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to Migrate db's to a new machine and SQL Server ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigfw

Technical User
Aug 11, 2004
US
I have a problem with migration. Due to issues too complicated (insane) to discuss, the problem is I have to migrate from a first development SQL server (poorly configured by a Web developer) that was turned into a production server. I had to build a new production SQL server on a new file server. I can't get to the old server on the domain (bound 2 IP's, one to an internal and the other to an external website without DNS Services) and I have to migrate 4 db's into the new SQL Server. I'm going to try and load all the db's (master first) into the new sql server and see if I can maintain the identical structures. I have to move and rename the startup files etc., but how can I get rid of the old SQL servers bad naming conventions and files locations for the SQL new server? Any other migration tips appreciated...

Thanks Craigfw

I used Microsoft's Copy Database Wizard inside SQL to move my SQL Databases from one server to another. I didn't have to move master/model, etc., as the copy/move wizard will update them appropriately. Some people said to stay away from the wizard but it worked best for me, no orphaned users, etc.. After you get the databases over (if the wizard doesn't ask) you can move your data and log files to the appropriate drives. The naming conventions would be another story as I would imagine the applications would need to be changed.

Good luck!
Debi

I'd love to use it or DBArtisan 8.0, but I can't get to the machine on the Domain. I can access it locally, but I can't perform any network(ing) connectivity to migrate objects (dbs).

You can use the wizzard. Another option is to use a DTS package to copy the user accounts over with there passwords intact, then detach the databases, copy the files over, and reattach them.

Don't move the system databases. If you need to move DTS packages or jobs over you can DTS the jobs, but the packages are easiest moved by hand.

As for the naming conventions, there's not much you can do there without updating the apps.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

All I ever do is back up the database, copy the backup file to the backup directory on the new server, and restore it to the new server. I have to click force restore over existing database. Never tried it with master, maybe it won't let you.

Bob

Thanks to everyone for your responces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back