Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to manually assign IP's to computers linked to a Linksys BEFW11S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDTrader

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
PR
OK... I got the router working and I made several security changes like assigning a mandatory WAP, and limiting access to my network by the MAC number of each NIC.

I need now to assign the IP addresses of each computer manually in order to have the option to control the access to the Internet through my Network to any of these computers. I have a good idea on how to do this, but I wish to get a step-by-step tutorial in order to not mess what I had done so far.

Thank you,

-CD Trader

There is nothing to be done really on the router.

The rule is: do not assign static IPs within the DHCP scope of the router.

This is by default 192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.149

And obviously, 192.168.1.1 is the router itself, and 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255 are not allowed.

Anything else is fine.

The router does not have a a feature to reserve IPs by MAC, alas. It is up to you to avoid assigning duplicate IPs.

All of the assignment is done under TCP/IP properties, and not at the router.

Well assign an IP Address of 192.168.1.XXX; any number as long as it does not exist over the network. The router by default has 192.168.1.1 and DHCP assigned IPs are 192.168.1.100-149, therefore, you could assign IPs from 192.168.1.2-99 and 192.168.1.150-254. 192.168.1.255 is a broadcast IP.

Make sure that they also do have the same subnet, the default subnet of the router is a full class c subnet: 255.255.255.0 if you want to learn more on subnetting here is the site:

Make sure that you also need to specify the Gateway IP in which it would then be your router.

For you to have internet connection specify DNS and those would be coming from your ISP. By connecting your computer straight to the modem you'll be able to get the DNS.

Win95, 98, ME
Start>Run>Ipconfig>select your ethernet adapter

Win2000 & Xp
Start>Run>Command>In command prompt just type: ipconfig/all

Specify these DNS into the TCP/IP properties:

For 95, 98, ME
Start>Control Panel>Select Network>Select TCP/IP with your ethernet adapter>Properties

For 2000
Start>Control Panel>Network and Dial up connection>Select Local Connections>Internet Protocol>Properties

For Xp
Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet Connection>Network Connections>Local Area Connection>Internet Protocol>Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back