Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to log in as administrator - I have administrator rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmike

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
IL
I have a program that I cannot install because it says that I am not the administrator.
I have administrator rights but that doesn't seem enough for the program!
I only have one account on the computer and it is set to auto-login and I don't believe that it has a password.
I can get to the administrator login via safe mode but it asks for a password and I don't think that I ever gave it one either.
I would just choose another piece of software but it is for my TV/radio card which worked for 3 years until I recently did a repair install. Everything else is working OK although going back to IE7 and getting updates were a challenge :)
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Mike

Looks like one of those things that wants the administrator to have a password. You can run as admin without a password. Just create another admin user with a password and use that whenever it asks you for an admin user with a password.

I hit this problem whenever I connect to network drives.

Thanks for the input!

I set up a new administrator account but when I tried to add a password I got a message saying, 'cannot change password'.

Strange for a new account?!

Mike

Is this XP Pro or XP Home?

294676 - HOW TO: Enable and Use the "Run As" Command When Running Programs in Windows

"To start a program as an administrator" in the Help and Support program.

This is a handy program to know about.

RunAsUser

Right-click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. This will take you to the Computer Management Console (XP Pro only). Here you can look at the Local Users and Groups. Select Users to display all the User names. Right-click on the Username with Password problems to access the Properties. Here you can see what is set for setting Passwords.

thank you all!

I used all of the info and then logged off and pressed ctrl-alt-delete twice and the administrator box appeared.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back