Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to learn JAVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

drohrig

Programmer
Oct 20, 2010
US
I have been a PeopleSoft developer for the past 13 years, using PeopleTools and SQR, but the company I am currently working for is changing to a new HRIS system which is on a Linux server, PostGres database and programmed in JAVA.

I have some books and am using online tutorials but am having problems in making the transition from SQR to JAVA. Are there any books or online materials that will help me bridge the two? I know records and fields but am totally lost on classes and objects. The examples in the books and tutorials just do not speak to real life applications.

If objects and classes are throwing you for a loop, then honestly, you may want to consider taking a formal class.

In my limited experience, understanding those two items is the core in Java programming. Everything is an object.

Maybe you should set the focus a little bit. SQR and Java have nothing to do in the big picture, you cannot bridge an orange with an apple. Nevertheless, maybe there are some parts of Java that can be related to some parts os SQR.

There are a lot of online tutorials about objects and Java but if you have specific questions about it we can try to help you.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back