Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to learn AS400 where is best to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

999Dom999

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
GB
I have a brand new iseries i520 which has been an upgrade from our old 9406-720. I want to take the opportunity to learn a bit before the old 720 hits the scrap heap.(support is outsourced and we have one operator)

Ideally I would like to upgrade this old machine to V5R3 and install domino on it. Being a windows man doing the windows version of this for me is a doddle but I have almost no experience of AS400's operating systems.

I know domino pretty well on windows and the server it runs is not powerful enough. I would like to learn how to migrate it to our new iseries, the costs involved in getting someone in is so much that I could buy a new powerful windows server for half the price.

Is this sort of work highly skilled? Will I need full classroom training to pick this up or are there step by step tutorials or a decent book to learn from? I have tried to search for documents not really found much.

Have you checked on the IBM Iseries web site? Also,, look for IBM "Redbooks". Look at Websites specializing in "mid-range" computing, as this has been an Iseries "buzz-word", for a long time. The skills are different. Running Domino on the Iseries, is very stable,, but you will find a difference in terms, and principals. But you have an opportunity to play, and lean on the old machine, before it gets out the door..

Thanks for the posts very helpful. Its all a bit alien to me.

Mind you coming from exchange and going to domino seemed the same, its just very different from what I've used before!

[pipe]

The 720 can only be upgraded to V5R2, no further.
The database could be migrated using SQL and connecting
through ODBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back