Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to know some basics from those of you who have experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyL

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
Hi,
I am just beginning to learn about db web applications. Bascially I am wondering the benefits of building such applications? I have read that it enables
-content management, and
-enables real-time transactions....
what are the other real benefits of building such an application? I need to know some real-life benefits and not those just listed off in a book.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanx!

Hi LucyL,

It all depends on the purpose of the application, whether or not an online db application is the right choice.

The biggest benefit I can think about for you off the top of my head (and one you can use to sell to clients) is this:

All companies consist of information systems. Whether or not they utilise computers is another question. However all business information systems consist of data, people and processes. Originally in the old days, data was stored in flat text files on one machine. Then one day, a huge change swept the industry and relational databases distrubuted across multiple machines was the way to go. Many companies are at that point now, some still use flat text files! But even with relational databases on their LAN, with all their product info, order info, customer info etc, can only be accessed via users on the LAN. By building an online front end to these companies databases, such companies could allow their customers to view order information, even place orders! They could allow their suppliers to have different views into the data. Allow management to generate reports from the other side of the world! etc.

All these advantages may be just advantages today. But very soon, customers and suppliers will become so used to dealing with companies who do provide such services, and therefore companies who choose not to could get left behind.

Hope this helps you, Brett Birkett B.Comp
Systems Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back