Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to know MAC Address??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicon

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2018
BR
Hi guys, I´m new here, this is my first question
I tried to find a similar question here but I couldn´t... (maybe the way or words that I used, don´t know)
Well, the question is:

I´m using Microchip microcontroller PIC18F97J60 in my Project, using Microchip TCP/IP Stack. (their implementation of the stack has a lack of some things, but the basic works fine)
I have a TCP cliente socket. I know the IP that i need to connect, but don´t the MAC Address. If I connect at the IP, I can see in the wireshark the MAC destination as FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (broadcast).
If I connect to the same IP using docklight or a similar program I see the correct destination MAC Address. It seems to me that Microchip stack doesn´t handle this at the TCP Sync process before connection, right?
I´m afraid of not knowing MAC could lead me to weird situations...
What is your advice to solve this??

I would like to figure out how the TCP stack (from Windows for instance) knows the MAC in the Sync processes during the connection

Tks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back