Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to know common EXE files for priners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediaFrenzy

Instructor
Sep 22, 2003
CA
This is a wierd question...trust me :)

OK I have two systems mine and my spouses. Each of the two systems has their own printer. I use my system primarily for my business and do not allow my spouse on it exept to surf the web and play games (because she has her own system and printer...its old but it works). My problem is is that when I am not home my spouse prints out 10s of files off the internet on my system because her printer is out of ink. My catridges are $45 and $65 for black and color cartridges respectively. and I am going through a set each week because of her use.

To remedy this situation I have installed a password program that pops up a window when an aplication that I have protected is run and asks for a password. My problem is; is that I am trying to find a common file that is initiated EVERYTIME the printer is being used so I can password protect this file. I have tried the actual EXE file for the printer but it still prints and then asks for the password.

I do not want the whole system protected as I dont mind that she uses it...I just want her to stop using the printer when I am not there and to buy her own cartridges for her own printer.....

...this may all sound petty but it is a business computer and all and it is not meant for personal use.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ken

===================================
Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!

What operating system are you using? You can try SpoolSV.exe, but your OS may run that by default, meaning that she might not be able to use the computer very effectively with that file password protected.

I am running ME and 2K (dual boot)

Ken

Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!

Try locking down SpoolSV.EXE on the ME partition and see how it works. You would probably have better luck just using Win2K security policies on the 2000 partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back