Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to keep others out of design view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy77Tx

Technical User
Jun 17, 2001
US
I know that there is a way to keep others out of the design view area while still allowing me to access it at anytime. I am not specifing user groups or anything because it's a general use database on one computer. Anythoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The only way to do ths without setting permissions or disabling the bypass key is to hide the database window and/or open the main form automatically using a macro called 'AutoExec'. When Access starts it automatically looks for this macro and runs it if it exists.

The problem with this is that the user can still get at the design view just by closing down the form and/or unhiding the database window, or holding down shift (the bypass key) when starting up.

The other alternative is to disable the bypass key but then you also don't get access to the design view unless you have some way of re-enabling the bypass key. It really depends how secure you want it to be. Alex Middleton

CountryBoy -

There is a more reliable way to keep 'them' at bay. In the Tools you'll find Startup. Here you can set your system to start with a particular form, suppress the database window and menus, and so on. In the Advanced section you can also suppress the Access shortcut key which would allow users to see the database window (F11).

'Ah, but...' I hear you cry - 'how do I get in there myself?' Simple - hold the shift key down as you open the database.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Hi :)

One method is to just create a shortcut for that file on desktlp and goto properties of that shortcut and write this in its target like

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" "C:\Myfiles\Myfile.mdb" /excl /nostartup /runtime

This will open the database in Runtime mode and exclusive mode and will also skip startup screen...but still the user can goto explorer n open the file directly by holding the shift key...but maybe this will help ur cause

Cheers!
Aqif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back