Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to identify a KVM for USB mouse & PS2 Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSarte

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
US
I have had a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for some time now and am very happy with it being hooked up to my desktop. The cable output of the receiver is USB for the mouse and PS2 for the keyboard. I also have a USB to PS2 converter so the mouse connects directly into the PS2 mouse port on my desktop.

Recently I took a new job and my new employer has provided a new IBM Laptop with a port replicator. The port replicator has a PS2 connector for the keyboard input and ONLY a USB port for the mouse. I have tried two different KVM's so I can share my LCD monitor, Logitech mouse/keyboard across both systems but can't seem to get the mouse to the port replicator/laptop to work.

I think it is power issue with the KVM since the output cables from both KVM's (one was a Linksys and the other a Belkin) has only PS2 connectors for both the keyboard & mouse, which I have another converter to go from PS2 to USB for the mouse for input to the port replicator/laptop. Each of the KVM's are bus powered and do not have a separate power supply input.

I was thinking that the power issue could be corrected if I bought a KVM that has a separate DC power supply and is not strictly bus powered.

My question is, does any one know for that this will work? I hate to spend the money and find out it still does the same thing. The KVM I have seen has PS2 connectors for both the keyboard and mouse but I think with the separate DC power it might boost the signal up enough to drive the USB port on the Laptop port replicator.

Any body have comments or feedback on whether this will work or not?

Thanks,

Bruce

FYI the USB will work for BOTH the kayboard and mouse.
I also have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, and the wireless receiver ALSO has a usb and ps/2 plug, however I've used it for a year (both mouse and keyboard) and my laptop doesn't even have a ps/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back