Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to hack admin p/w- can boot to floppy/cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

admoore

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2002
US
A friend of mine has inherited responsibility of an NT 4 system which runs his company voice-mail. The prior sys admin left under poor circumstances and now he must access this system to update the voicemail system.

Is there any way to perhaps boot to a CD-ROM or Floppy, then copy the p/w file off to be cracked? I'm only guessing at solutions here but the only alternative is I guess an fdisk & re-build.

TIA,

-Allen Moore

The way I would do, before reinstall the thing is :
Take the hard drive out, stick it in another NT box as a secondary master (change jumper) or primary slave, boot up the NT box, access the hard drive in question. get sam._ file (from Winnt\repair) , expand it to samfile (expand sam._ > samfile), run samdump.exe on samfile, call it samhash (samdump samfile samhash). Run l0phtcrack on this samhash. You should be able to download samdump.exe and l0phtcrack from various hack site (try searching NT security sites)
Hope this helps and good luck.

with l0phtcrack you can sometimes just call a dump from the server right in and forgo the HD swapping stuff in most cases the I have used this tool the previous admin did not have the box setup that tight that l0phtcrack could not just grab the sam Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back