Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to get startup repair on windows, not dvd, so I can do factory restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
I am working on a computer that has a windows more corrupted then any I have ever seen. When I first got it, Windows would not even try to load, would go straight to startup repair. Well I usually try repairing computers instead of wiping them, and 99 percent of the time I am successful. This one however is not working lol. Anyway I rebuild the bcd and got it trying to load windows but kept having problems no matter what. So I decided I was going to do a factory restore. But in order to do that, I need to access the startup repair when windows loads, and not the one from a windows 7 dvd. However, F8 screen does not give me the option to repair my computer. Only gives me safe mode and start windows normally. So I am wondering if there is a command I can type in command prompt from the startup repair on the windows 7 dvd, to make startup repair show in the options on starting up the machine.

Thanks

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

The Lenovo and HP system I have dealt with require you to hit a key during POST that will allow you to so a System Restore.

Have you considered using a Linux boot to see what partitions are available on the hard drive. From what you describe I suspect that you have a missing or a corrupted restore partition

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have used ubcd4win to load and check things out. It has 3 partitions from what I remember when I made a copy to another drive testing the hard drive. I have also ran chdksk /r /f , used the startup repair on the disc. The only thing I haven't used is sfc as I don't have a windows 7 home premium disc. The one I have is Windows 7 Pro. This is a dell computer , and the ctrl F11 command that some say works to bring up the restore partition does not work. The startup repair on windows is where it's at on here, but haven't been able to get it back. Thinking about throwing a couple of fake drivers in it to see if it will bring it back up so I can wipe it. If you want exact details it's a dell inspiron 560 service tag914hjq1.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Oh by the way, I did not use chkdsk while on ubcd4win/bartpe lol. I used the windows 7 disc for that, not xp.

You could also consider buying a DELL restore DVD for W7HP. Ebay has them around $20.

Haven't looked into restore partitions on any of my Dell stuff. I wipe any of them out and reload from DVD when I have issues. I don't know where the restore boot info is stored but would look to boot.ini as first step in trying to find it. If you have another 7 with a usable restore partition that might help you find what is missing.

If you have another system with the restore partition you could clone it and recover on the bad system.

Ed Fair

Going to try another way. Got a copy of Windows 7 home premium from a friend as mine is Windows 7 pro. So going to reinstall the os with the key on the machine. Well test things first with a spare drive in case of any issues. It's like someone let loose a wrecking ball on the windows lol.

I suspect you won't get to use the key during the install, only sometime later when the system gets around to a WGA check.

Ed Fair

It asked for the key during install and everything went smooth. Computer is done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back