Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to format empty spaces on my drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I like to erase the hidden files that occupy my drive that are no longer in use after removing the programs, and I do not mean a complete format. I like to preserve the current Windows and other programs installed on it.
Are there any software/metohds that can help me for this task?

thanks in advance and merry Christmas to all

Formatting by definition means erasing everything on the drive. So using that term, and then explaining you don't want to do that can lead to confusion.

What you want is system cleaner or a registry cleaner, try CCleaner:

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Once upon a time, i seem to recall that this could be accomplished by running a "defrag".

Is this no longer done?

Nope, no defrag, just plain old un-install should do, but ofcourse the user-data has to be removed by hand...

Defrag simply rearranges files so all their parts are as continuous as possible on the drive. It improves drive reading speed, as it makes it so the drive doesn't have to jump around as much to read a complete file, but it does not in any way delete or clear out unneeded files.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back