Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to force single byte out COM1 using XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpmoody

Technical User
Jul 6, 2005
US
I hope I am making sense.
I'm not a novice but I am getting stumped a little. I need to force a single byte out a COM port when I want to. Even if I turn off the fifo, XP still seems to send the byte when it wants to, not when I tell it to. Yes, I have flushed the buffer, but it still gets sent at some random time in the future. My real question is can I write a flexible COM device driver with the DDK? Will it allow me to "revert" back to a point that I can write my own ISR so I can force a byte out the COM port when I want it to???
Tim Moody
PS I use C++ and Visual Studio .NET 2003 on an XPPro box

Elevating your process priority to "real-time" level might help, but other than that you have to live with a certain amount of discretion on the part of the OS as to when it does things.

If you really want that level of control over the timings, then you're going to have to use a real time operating system. A normal desktop OS just isn't going to cut it.

Why is the timing so critical by the way?

--

Salem(is that Oregon),
My thoughts exactly, and I do long for my Unix,QNX,Linux environment. This can be a little frustrating. Thanks for your input.
Tim
PS Timing is so critical because of the piece of garbage peripheral I have to communicate with.

With Linux I can make it sing, with Microsoft I can make it puke.
Feel free to quote me, no charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back