Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to expand volume that priv.edb is using 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclerico

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2005
US
Exchange 2003 Standard SP2
Windows 2003 Standard R2

The volume that I currently have my priv1.edb/.stm and pub1.edb/.stm database files on is running out of disk space. I could probably perform an off-line defrag to regain some of the space, but I'll be right back in the same spot in a short while. All of our drive space is allocated from an EqualLogic SAN so expanding the volume from within the EqualLogic interface is simple as is using diskpart to realize the change on Exchange. My question is when should I perform this change? Should I stop all of the Exchange services before I expand/diskpart or will it be ok for me to do this when services are running and connections are open? Thanks in advance

Personally Stop all services. BACKUP< BACKUP and just once again backup :) move the stores to an alternative drive (this may take a long time). Install / change drive partioning move the stores back and restart the services and it should work start working again.

I'd consider separating priv's and Pub's if they're large onto different locations.

Other options are to move them off and then move them back by following the below;

(pretty much the same doc but thought I'd post both!)

Good luck,
Iain

You need to evacuate the data, resize, reformat, and replace the data.

If this were a Netapp SAN, you could do it on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back