Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to edit recordset thru query, MAX also needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxannep

Technical User
Jun 20, 2000
I have two tables: Contacts and Transactions. It is a one-to-many relationship (Contacts-to-Transactions).

I am trying to come up with an editable recordset in datasheet view using this relationship. The hitch is that I need to display the Contact record only once for any and all times it finds a transaction over $500 in the Transaction table. It does need to remain editable.

Currently, I can get this far with my query and have it remain editable:

ContactID Send Newsletter Email TransactionAmt
1 Yes xyz@abc.com $1,000.00
1 Yes xyz@abc.com $516.00
2 123@567.com $678.00
3 No abc@ttt.com $560.00
3 No abc@ttt.com $1,200.00
3 No abc@ttt.com $875.00

I need:
ContactID Send Newsletter Email TransactionAmt
1 Yes xyz@abc.com $1,000.00
2 123@567.com $678.00
3 No abc@ttt.com $1,200.00

And I need to be able to toggle that "Send Newsletter" field (which is why I need it editable, but I don't want to have to scroll through 87 records for Mr. Jones to get to Mr. Jonesy). I am dealing with 800+ transaction records that meet the over $500 criteria, but really only 250 Contacts.

I have rather racked my brains out and realize it's probably staring me in the face.

Does it make any difference which tranaction amount you get?
Do you actually need the transaction amount at all (given that you only look at items over 500)?

You may try something like this:
SELECT T.ContactID, [Send Newsletter], C.Email, T.TransactionAmt
FROM Transactions AS T INNER JOIN Contacts AS C ON T.ContactID = C.ContactID
WHERE T.TransactionAmt = (SELECT Max(TransactionAmt) FROM Transactions WHERE ContactID = T.ContactID)

A usefull link about Updatable queries:

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Lupins46 - No, it really doesn't matter if I see the transactions. I was just trying to find a way to hone it down to one Contacts record. Does this make it easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back