Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to display a 'phonebook' type header on each page of report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmjb

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2009
I am using Crystal Reports 2008 and am having some trouble getting my report to read as it should. I have searched the forums and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

What I have is a report that pulls part information.
* The report is grouped by part number.
* I have formatted to display in multiple columns.

I need to show the first record and the last record together in the page header in a formula. This will go into a printed book and we want the clients to be able to flip through the pages and find the page number a part may appear on.

I envision a dictionary or phonebook type header.

Example:

Page 1 - the first part number listed is 220505
Page 1 - the last part number listed is 230748

My formula results would look like this:
"Parts: 220505-230748"

Each page could have a different number of parts, depending on the extra information returned by part number. So, I don't think I can create a formula based on the number of records per page.

I have created the formula and it works in the page footer, but not the header, which is where I need it to show. I'm sure this has to do with the order in which Crystal reads/writes records, but I'm not sure how to work around this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
JB

Crystal has its own processing cycle. When it starts a page, it has only read the first detail line and has no provision for 'looking ahead' to the last detail line. No way round, as far as I known. I'm using Crystal 11.5, but I suspect the same limits apply to Crystal 2008.

If you group, summary totals for Min and Max can be shown in the group header, but that is because grouping is done earlier in the cycle. You could get the contents of the group, but if there were several groups on the page it would show just the first. If the group extended over several pages it would show the same on each page.

Sorry, no way round I can think of.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 11.5 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Thanks Madawc, that's what I thought.

I ended up doing a little manual work on the headers, hate to do it that way, but had to get the report out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back