Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to delete old staging sessions and Jobs from database

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankle

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
I am running ARCserve 12.0 SP1 SQL database. I stage to hard drives on my backup server and then copy the files to a LTO4 device for archive. All works fine except for a couple of issues that I have.

I have some sessions that list when I expand the Media Records for the staging device that no longer extist on the staging hard drive. When I click on the sessions, one group is from some dates in 2009 that I had a problem with the migration jobs. I don't remember the exact problem. Another group is from a job that failed because I changed the server name. All of the sessions were probably not migrated properly, but the data has been backed up many times since then, so I don't need these sessions.

I cannot delete them using command prompts such as ca_devmgr -force -purge query 4 0 0 -sessions 1-100

When I run a query for all sessions from the command prompt, they are not listed. Only the current ones that are on the hard drive are listed. How can I get rid of them? I know why they are listed, but I really need to get rid of them. I am leaving my postion at the end of the year and I am trying to clean up some loose ends. Some one coming in after me is not going to know why the sessions are still listed.

Do I need to go into the SQL database to delete them? I have only done basic queries in SQL, so I need some instructions or some source to read on how to do this.

The other problem, which I think is related to incomplete migration is that when I go to create a GFS Media Prediction report, I see 2 jobs listed as being on Hold along with my nightly job. There are no jobs lised as being on Hold when you go into the Job Queue. So, again, I assume these are old migration jobs that did not run. How do you get rid of them?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

ARCserve Manager > Database > Job view > right click select delete

really should have SP2 for 12.0 installed, unless you are under maintenance in which case upgrades are free and if that is the case you really should upgrade to 15.0.

also ARCserve Server Admin > configuration > database > set up the db prune job to run maintenance and reindex.

Was planning to update v15, but became sidetracked with other things. I guess I just need to go ahead and do that. But in the meantime, here are results:

Anyway I went into the Jobs in the database and the ones I want to get rid of are not there.

I also went into the Server Admin and tried to manually run a DB Prune Job, but could not as the option "Submit Prune Job" is shadowed out. No matter what I checked or unchecked, I could not get it to be enabled. I don't know what is going on with that, because I have done that in the past with previous version.

I think the real problem is that when I click on the drop-down arrow next to my ArcServe server name, it shows 2 servers. The other one is the same server but with the old name. All of that information that I need to get rid of pertains to the "old name" server.

How can I get rid of it? If I select it, ARCserve cannot find it as there is no server by that name now.

Any ideas?

I have already done this. I had to contact CA support when I changed the name and did this as well as doing something to the database. I canont remember what the command was. Anuway, until I did the above, I could not backup or do anything. Backups are running correctly, but I cannot get rid of the old server info. I guess I will try searching more at the CA website. I had hoped someone here had some info.

Look under here for it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\CA ARCServe Backup\DiscoveryTable

I don't have "DiscoveryTable" in registry.

ah ok, corrupt install, someone randomly or purposefully deleted things, not sure.

Also not sure on how best to proceed:
install SP2
do a clean reinstall
contact CA support
upgrade to 15.0
or live with it until it becomes someone else's problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back