Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to create 2 mirrors X225 LSI 1030

Status
Not open for further replies.

999Dom999

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
GB
I have an X225 LSI 1030 controller with the hotswap bays in the front, currently 2 x 36Gb(OS) drives are mirrored. I want to add an additional 2 x 146Gb(data) drives and mirror them.

I have booted from the ServeRaid cd version 7.12 and I don't have the option to create a second logical drive, its there but not selectable. Is this because you are limited to one raid array per controller??

I am rebuilding this server so I can break the current mirror, is it possible/ is it best to use all 4 disks to create a mirror then partion the OS and Data?? If so how?

Please don't cross-post into multiple forums with the same question.

I believe the onboard controller can only have one set of mirrored drives...i.e. it can't handle multiple arrays.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Yeah sorry[peace] I saw this forum was more relevant so posted here, is there a way I can remove my post from the other forum?

No...don't worry about it. Just try not to do that because a lot of people read across forums...we'll find your question. ;)

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

One thing to check would be whether you have latest system BIOS. x225 may have been updated to have LSI's latest firmware which supports RAID 1E (aka IME). You still get only one volume but it can be up to 6 drives... effectively a striped mirror. You might also try using the BIOS configurator as I dont recall whether SRManager will allow a 1E config on LSI controller.

Thanks for that but I've had to get things started, I have hardware mirrored the data disks 146GB and will software mirror the OS. [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back