Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to crack NT Workstation administrator password - ASAP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

no2cancer

MIS
Oct 5, 2000
US
I have an NT Administrator who will be leaving the company in the near future....he doesn't know it yet. We've recently discovered that he has changed the administrator password on a very important group of computers not to mention several NT servers. Under the circumstances it is not likely that he will be forthcoming with the passwords. Please tell me that there is a way to bybass or crack the administrator password in order to change it before he leaves? We need help fast. I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone can offer. [sig][/sig]

Well if it is extremely critical then your company shouldn't mind paying the money for a couple of very useful tools.

Go here an check it out>
[sig]<p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

If you are in the US I am not sure he will have a choice. Refusing to divulge the passwords is most likely punishable by law. I would contact a lawyer before proceeding with the termination. [sig][/sig]

The first thing you should do is talk with him. Why would he react like that? remember what tclere said. you have the law on your side.

If that doesn´t work try this...
Boot a computer using a diskette. If you have ntfs partitions be sure to download ntfs for dos (can be found practically everywhere). run ntfsdos.exe to get read permissions on your ntfs-partitions.
if you have fat16 partitions just copy the sam database to a floppy.
run the program L0phtCrack (can also be found easily) on your sam-file.
lophtcrack will now brute-force crack your password/s.
Depending on how many and strange characters he used it takes all from a couple of seconds to several hours/day to crack the password.

[sig]<p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Go to (not the 0 is a zero in L0pht) and located the program called L0phtCrack - it is only an evaluation version however they supply a full version of the software for not too much money.

They are a commercial Security Site (ex hackers &amp; crackers) and have supplied allot of info on how to protect companies including ours in the past.

Regards,

Tempus-X

Download these three NT 4 setup disk which are patched with a version of OObluecon.
They let you reset any password without actually logging on with just booting off these three disks.

And besides as mentioned earlier by others the Law is on your side so use it first if not successfull then boot away.

bootdisk

If the workstations or servers are members of a domain you can change the local admin password remotely. Start user manager for domains and then instead of selecting a domain to manage, enter the netbios name of the workstation or server. You then have access to the local admin account and can change the password.

Here is a link to a handy little site with a file that will allow you to change the password on an NT machine!

It works excellent and only takes a few minutes to do! It doesn't try and find the password... just lets you make a new one!

Mary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back